Monday, July 12, 2010

UNI

Although it may seem like I only came here to explore New Zealand and meet great people, there is another reason for my travel to NZ. New Zealand's oldest university, one of the southern most universities in the world, the University of Otago. Or as the locals (and our british friends) call it "Uni".

First of all the place is huge. I'm talking 20,000 people, HUGE. Before all the students arrived the city of Dunedin was a ghost town, but now there are so many students and people here that it hardly seems like the same place. One huge difference is the sheer volume of building and space that the uni takes up. It is also the largest employer in Dunedin.

The students put American college students to shame. Nicknamed scarfies for the scarves that we all have to wear when it gets cold. They are notorious for interestingly enough burning couches. But that's banned now, but secretly still happens. Can't wait to experience that one. The drinking age is 18 and it shows. To experience the "real" scarfie culture one would have to be on Castle Street at about 2AM during orientation. One word, riot.

The classes are also drastically different, sorta. My religion class, Love and Heroism: Religions of South India is about 8 people in a class setting that reminds me of Saint Mike's. However, my Maori Society class is in a lecture hall that seats 550 people. That's more than my graduating class at Saint Mike's, every time I enter that room I imagine that is what it will be like when I walk the stage a graduation. SCARY. Students also are not required to attend class. There is no attendance policy. It's a whole new level of student responsibility that I am sure will prove harmful for some internationals, mainly the boys. ALSO, a A/A- is anywhere from a 100 to an 80. AN 80! Talk about different expectations.

Speaking of uni, I have reading for class and I am trying (ish) to get that done. More soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment